Paul Coverdell National Acute Stroke Program Grant
The program aims to improve the delivery and quality of stroke care to save lives, prevent disability, avoid recurrent strokes, and reduce the number of untimely death
What is this Opportunity?
This grant is intended to coordinate and expand existing efforts in Kentucky to improve stroke-related health outcomes. This will be achieved by working with Kentucky health care systems and community providers to implement comprehensive stroke systems for those at high risk for stroke and those who have had a stroke. Part of the Coverdell Program initiative includes creating the Kentucky Stroke Improvement Cooperative (KSIC). This cooperative will be the leadership team guiding the Coverdell Program strategies for improving the quality of stroke care in the Commonwealth.
The Coverdell Program is a 3-year non-research cooperative project to strengthen relationships between healthcare organizations, community partners, and patients to identify those at risk for stroke before a stroke event occurs and improve outcomes for stroke patients following discharge. This program will use multiple strategies to meet these goals, including expanding access to participation in the Stroke Encounter Quality Improvement Project (SEQIP), increasing access and utilization of Get With The Guidelines-Stroke, improving compliance and understanding of evidence-based performance measures, and reducing stroke disparities and deaths over the long term.
- University of Kentucky Healthcare (UK Kentucky Regional Extension Center, UK Departments of Neurology and the Kentucky Neuroscience Institute, Norton Healthcare UK HealthCare – Stroke Care Network, UK Center of Excellence Rural Health, UK Department of Family and Community Medicine)
- · University of Louisville/U of L Healthcare: (U of L Stroke Research Program, U of L Department of Neurology, U of L Health Comprehensive Stroke Program, The Center of Excellence for Research in Infectious Diseases and Stroke)
- · State Government (Kentucky Department for Public Health – Kentucky Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention Program, Kentucky Health Information Exchange, Kentucky Board of Emergency Medical Services)
- · Kentucky Board of Emergency Medical Services
- · Kentucky Stroke Encounter Quality Improvement Project
- · Kentucky Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention Task Force
- · Kentucky Office of Rural Health